Tom and Roy got together at SCCE’s Utilities & Energy Compliance Conference in Houston last week. In this episode:
- Tom rubs it in that Houston is warmer than Minneapolis;
- Utilities & Energy conference wrap-up from their perspectives;
- Why you should know Sam and Bill;
- Opportunities for service with the SCCE;
- Roy’s insider tips for getting your submissions selected for speaking at SCCE/HCCA conferences;
- The scariest thing Tom heard last week;
- The realization that the only thing you really have is your reputation;
- Why you should invite yourself to your business associates’ family dinners;
- Training for interpersonal skills and influence;
- Kristy Grant-Hart bringing a positive outlook to compliance;
- Wal-Mart’s bribery investigation; and
- Compliance redemption; and
- Why you should donate to HCCA’s Silent Auction to benefit America’s Fund – link: America’s Fund Silent Auction
- More information about America’s Fund: www.americasfund.org
Thomas Fox has practiced law in Houston for 30 years. He is now an Independent Consultant, assisting companies with anti-corruption and anti-bribery compliance. He was most recently the General Counsel at Drilling Controls, Inc., a worldwide oilfield manufacturing and service company. He was previously division counsel with Halliburton Energy Services, Inc. where he supported Halliburton’s software division and its downhole division.
Tom is the author of the award winning FCPA Compliance and Ethics Blog and the international best-selling book “Lessons Learned on Compliance and Ethics”. His second book, “Best Practices Under the FCPA and Bribery Act” was released in April, 2013. His latest work is an eBook entitled, “GSK in China: A Game Changer for Compliance”. He writes and lectures across the globe on anti-corruption and anti-bribery compliance programs.
Roy Snell is the CEO of the Health Care Compliance Association (HCCA) and the Society of Corporate Compliance and Ethics (SCCE), which together now total more than 15,000 members. Roy was a co-founder and the organization’s first President. He has developed numerous partnerships with government, industry, and other professional associations, and he has facilitated collaboration between the compliance/ethics profession and the enforcement community. Roy has a Masters degree in Health and Human Services Administration.
Through his work with the two associations, he has overseen the development of compliance and ethics books, manuals, videos, conferences and audio conferences. He has been a regular speaker in the compliance profession for more than ten years and has spoken internationally for the United Nations on compliance and ethics. He is a Certified Compliance and Ethics Professional (CCEP)®.
Roy writes more than 25 compliance articles annually and has written for several international publications, including European CEO and The European Business Review. Roy is the co-editor of the Health Care Compliance Professional’s Manual and serves as editor, co-editor and advisory board member of several other books, magazines and newsletters. He has served as a source for many media reports, including national publications such as the Wall Street Journal, Forbes Magazineand Business Week. He has been quoted in international publications such as Financial Times and Ethical Corporation.