Odell and Kortney sit down over a cup of coffee at SCCE’s European Compliance & Ethics Institute in Prague to discuss the last 30 years of compliance, including:
- The biggest compliance challenges they faced 30 years ago;
- How to get over the challenge of compliance as a “cost center”;
- Building a defensible case for the company to prevent or negate criminal intent allegations;
- Persuading your business partners (the ones creating the risk) that they are ultimately responsible for the risk;
- The forward progress in compliance in Europe:
- Why are things evolving so quickly;
- Focus on compliance in the anti-corruption and bribery realms;
- The post-Snowden impact on privacy;
- Danger areas for current compliance professionals;
- When a Compliance Officer knows about and is complicit in criminal activities;
- Why Compliance professionals should reach outside their comfort zones; and
- Where compliance is heading in the next 30 years.
Odell Guyton is a Certified Compliance and Ethics Professional and the Co-Founder and a Member of the Board of Directors of the world’s largest compliance organization, the Society of Corporate Compliance and Ethics. He is a recognized industry leader in designing, implementing and managing effective corporate compliance programs for multi-national organizations.
Mr. Guyton is the former Corporate Vice President, Head of Global Compliance for Jabil Circuit, Inc., and the former Assistant General Counsel, Anti-trust Compliance Officer and Director of Compliance for Microsoft Corporation.
Mr. Guyton has served as an Assistant United States Attorney and as a Deputy District Attorney. He has been named as one of the “100 Most Influential Persons in Business Ethics” and “Attorneys Who Matter.” Mr. Guyton is a frequent lecturer on the implementation of anti-corruption/anti-bribery compliance measures focused on U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices (FCPA) and the U.K. Anti-Bribery Act and the administration of 3rd party due diligence compliance. In addition, he participates on several United Nations workshops and holds the Martindale-Hubbell “AV” (Preeminent) Highest Peer Review Rating. He received his Juris Doctor degree from the American University, Washington College of Law and earned his Bachelor of Arts degree from Moravian College, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania.